- Strong stakes
Network Management, a fast-growing business area, is becoming an important stake for transport operators. Mobility services aspire to make transports more accessible and user friendly, while allowing access to personalized information; this thanks to ICT advancements which have made it possible to develop these services.
Development of mobility services
From the 60s to the 80s, public transports were marked by developments in automatic driving mechanisms and automatic fare collection systems, such as magnetic stripe card, created to tackle population growth and the explosion in demand. These systems relied on electronic technologies to manage anonymous flows of travellers.
In the 90s new stakes appear for public transport operators with the emergence of congested city centres and environmental concerns. Operators had to come up an attractive alternative to personal cars and react to the growing requirements in quality of service. Bulk solutions were clearly inadequate to answer these new concerns. Emerging information technologies made it possible to find alternative solutions to help urban mobility. Ticketing, passenger information, safety and assisted travel start growing at an accelerated pace.
A new market was born: mobility services to better answer increasingly demanding customers.
- Permanent access and availability of real time information,
- Continuity of services to face multiplying mean of transport,
- Personalized information.
Theses new trends meant a much stronger collaboration between transport actors, transport information creators and public services, but also a greater understanding of behaviours and needs in terms of mobility: This is where Network Management comes in.
The main mobility services cover a great range of activities.
- Passenger information: dynamic maps, journey planners, real-time passenger information (RTPI),
- Ticketing: ticketing systems, fare attribution systems, clearing mechanisms, card security systems,
- Other mobility services: premises management, car and bike hire, CCTVs, assisted travel services,
- Intermodal exchange hub management: optimization and coordination of transportation offers, design and operation of mobility platforms, parking administration, multimodality administration.